Saturday, March 21, 2009

Girl Scout Goodness

Shawn and I love to make desserts. Usually on Friday nights after the kids are in bed, we'll try making a new dessert (this is how people date who have no money for babysitters). We've made Boston Cream Pie, flan, lemon bars, and cream cheese brownies so far. This last Friday we made the best recipe by far, so I had to share.
It's Girl Scout cookie season and the girls are everywhere, selling their cookies and tempting us every time we go to the grocery store. Those boxes of cookies are expensive, and after reading this, I'm not too excited about buying them. So, when I found a recipe for Thin Mints and for Samoas they HAD to be made! Thin mints are my all time favorite and Shawn's favorite are Samoas. If anyone wants to try these recipes I must warn you....... the Samoas take forever to make........FOREVER!!
Here are some pictures of our Samoas
The cookie part

Topped with this. This part was the hardest, getting the topping on just right because it was so sticky. Shawn didn't care about looks... can you tell which are his and which mine?

Dipped and covered with chocolate (we had an accident)

Viola!

They tasted just like the real thing. Maybe we should box 'em and go stand outside Albertsons too. I think we could make a good profit. The thin mints were easier to make. We just made the dough, which started out looking really gross, but came around. Rolled into into 2 long rolls (that looked like turds), wrapped them and froze them for a couple hours. Took them out of the freezer, sliced them, then dipped them into chocolate. Tada!!

Okay, they don't look as appetizing as real "thin mints", but they taste as good, trust me, I had them all eaten in 2 days! I think we just need to work on our chocolate dipping skills.The best thing about these recipes is that neither one called for eggs, so Grant can eat them, yeah, he can have some normalcy!

So, if anyone else is as excited as we were to make these, here's the recipes.


Samoas recipe

Thin Mints recipe

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Woohoo! That's awesome!!

Reed Family said...

Wow! That does look like a lot of work...I must say though, your two favorites happen to me and Brandon's as well! (Trouble...) Glad you found my blog so I could find yours!

MELISSA said...

Oh my gosh! I'm totally going to make these. So excited!

Lynn Gurney said...

Those look delicious! I gave in and bought a box of Samoas today. I have found that German Chocolate Little Debbies taste very similar to Samoas. You should try them.