Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blast off!

I've been nervous for this day… for years!

This is the boy who, after 4 years of attending church, still refuses to go to his class. The boy who takes months to warm up to someone enough to make eye contact with them. The boy who makes babysitters actually work for their money.

And today I dropped him off at preschool.

I was expecting a complete meltdown, a leg-kicking fit outside the classroom. Or, at least a phone call 10 minutes after dropping him off saying he needed to be picked up.

Boy, did Grant surprise me! Clearly I don't know my child as well as I thought.

He walked in, hung up his backpack, gave me a hug/kiss, "bye bye Mommy," and off he went to play.

What? Nothing? No crying? No collapsing to the floor?

Is my Grant actually maturing? On the day I would normally be crushed and saddened thinking about my little guy going to school….. I am overjoyed that he's growing up!



Being silly with his backpack


Showing off his space monkey backpack, and hanging it up in his classroom.


His first preschool day went great! I asked him what he did…. "I played, ate snack, and went home….. Oh, and I made a new friend too"

WHAT? You even made a friend?

This was an unbelievably, great day… for both of us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy for BOTH of you. I especially like the delightful smurk of a smile while he's looking over his shoulder, showing off his new back-pack!

The Schneiders said...

Oh, that is wonderful. I am so glad that everything went well. I couldn't be happier.

Mitch n' Molly said...

What a little charmer! Give him a high five from me would you? I miss that little man! I am so glad he had such a great time...he must be getting older.