Sunday, July 10, 2011

On the River. Part 2

I don't think I can ever forget yesterday. It's been a while since I felt like I was 16. My mom offered to watch the kids overnight for Shawn and I (isn't she the best?). We invited our friends, Melissa and Joe to join us white-water rafting. We went down the South Fork of the American River. We only scheduled ourselves on a class 3 course, but now I wish we would have gone for class 4. I was honestly scared I would die. I have been rafting before, but that was when I was invincible. No one got hurt, or even fell out of the boat... and by the end of the day we all wanted more!

Here we are.
 
We met up with our group and put on our gear. No, we didn't have helmets like EVERY other person did. YES, we had a river guide with the worst B.O. I've ever smelt. YES, we had the smallest raft of any others on the river that day. But we had the boat to ourselves, our smelly guide was the BEST, and we were AWESOME! I'm not kidding. We were born to raft!
 
We splurged and bought the pictures. Here are some of them....

Us, in the middle of Trouble Maker.
Shawn and Joe are dead serious. Melissa and I laughed the entire time. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a while. Don't worry, we multi-tasked laughing with rowing.

We got some serious air on this one. Shawn was up front and therefore thought he was the 'only' one getting wet. What a goof! I see water hitting 'everyone' don't you?  

This is no joke.... we were almost gobbled up by this rapid! And Melissa and I are still laughing! Our guide is yelling at us.

My favorite is when the guide yelled at us to ROW, ROW, ROW, when we were up in the air. Here we are, rowing at nothing.

Seriously, looking at these pictures is making me want to do it again... right now! Serious Shawn, again.

Melissa and I, after we stared death in the eye! (Okay, a little dramatic, but it's fun to say). I love this girl!
And I think we could pass for 16.

 What a perfect day! No kids (thanks mom), best friends, an awesome adventure, with a dose of adrenaline.

8 comments:

Jen said...

what a fun thing! Way to go out and do something you don't get to do everyday. Looks like a good time, and yes you do look like you could be 16 :)

Mom said...

I knew you'd have a blast. And, what a great memory to make together,w/good friends, too! Glad you bought pics! The kids & I had our OWN water adventure, too - just not White Water

Seth and Sierra said...

LOVE white water rafting!! Looks like so much fun!! My favorite picture is the one of you all rowing at nothing haha
Thank you for the book and card, btw...loves to you! Miss you guys.

Jennifer said...

SO FUN! I am a bit jealous...sitting here in the same-ol' same-ol' of Forest Grove...glad you got to go and do something adventurous that didn't require heights..next time I'm feeling adventurous, I'll find a river. ;)
Jen

The Schneiders said...

That looked AMAZING!!! What a perfect day! By the way, you are one hot, TAN Momma. Geez. I am so glad you guys had some time alone.

Leia and Jason said...

I love the rafting pictures! We have gone every summer since we moved to WA and it kills me to not be able to go this summer due to baby. It is great to finally read a blog about you and Shawn doing something together with NO kids :)

Katie and Randy said...

Oh that looks so fun! I am laughing out loud at the picture of you guys rowing at air :)

Mitch n' Molly said...

Ok I am adding that to my list of fun things to do! Great idea to buy the pictures! Totally worth it! LOVE ALL OF THEM!