Thursday, September 29, 2011

Projects out my ears!

So, I have a little lull in my world of projects... so I thought I would update you with what I've been doing.
There is a local thrift store that I frequent. By frequent I mean "twice a week". I'm addicted. They have a great selection of clothes and my favorite, furniture. I've become a little obsessed with furniture lately. Okay, maybe that's an understatement. In the last 2 months, I've brought home:

 a cedar chest
a lamp
dresser
chest of drawers
desk
twin bed
coffee table, and
2 end tables

Yes, I "needed" all of these things. But, seriously, it was out of control! We couldn't walk in our own house.
Shawn just rolls his eyes at me every time I come home with something.
It's a true test of his love.

So, without further adieu... let me share a few of those things.

Okay, this desk rightfully belongs to my friend Jen (although I bought it and painted it), she saw it first and had great dreams for it. But alas, she moved, and I couldn't leave it sitting at the store priced at $11. I had to buy it.
It is GINORMOUS!
It sat and sat while I decided what to do with it.
In the end, I stained the top a dark dark brown, and painted the bottom an off white.
I kept the original hardware, because I liked it. And I lined the drawers. Smashed in the back of a drawer I found a stamp from 1951, so this desk must be pretty old.

 Here it is, smooched in the corner. Shawn and I brought this MONSTER up the stairs last night. It was a comedy show. I think it weighs as much as an elephant.
 It will house my sewing machine and serger, and it's already littered with crafts.
Do you think I should glaze it? Or distress it? I still can't decide.


 Reagan desperately needed new dressers. Hers were falling apart.
I found a dresser and chest of drawers. They are really nicely made.... and also very heavy!
I couldn't decide what color to paint them. I fell back on white.... AGAIN!
I have a real painting problem. I just cannot step out of that box and paint anything except white. What is wrong with me?
 Here's the chest of drawers. I like them... but I feel like it needs something? That was a question.....

I was freaking out with the thought of bankrupting myself over 14 drawer pulls. Until I went to the Re-Store (another obsession of mine) and found 10 identical pulls and 4 knobs... it was meant to be. They were 25 cents each! I almost cried. They aren't my first choice of knob, but you can't be picky when you're poor. They have cute little flowers accents on them.

 I painted them... yes, white.... and glazed them pink, then distressed them.

 Okay... then came the bed. Reagan was ready to graduate into a twin bed. I found this one at the Re-Store and feel in instant LOVE!
I spray painted it white (I know, you're shocked) To my defense... it's not white white. It's an antique white.

I bought a wood decal for the headboard because it was really boring. You can hardly see it in this picture, but it's there.

 Reagan's new room. Once we can paint our walls I think I'll love it even more!!
 I plan on painting that mirror (an actual color... I just can't decide which one)


So, that's what I've been up to.
Are you sick of white yet?
Now I'm working on reupholstering our rocking chair, and Halloween costumes.
It never ends.

10 comments:

Mom said...

Sissy, you take "Manic Monday" to the extreme!! When the time comes that you settle down in your own house, you'll undoubtedly want to find a place with a separate "shop", for wood-working, painting, crafting, sewing, serging, quilting, developing photos, etal!

Mitch n' Molly said...

I agree with your mom... You need a SHOP! I am thoroughly impressed with your make-overs! White is classy and fun. And you are right with the walls a different color your furniture will pop! Nothing wrong with neutral. I think you should paint the mirror turquoise... or hot pink... I am so amazed at all you get done! You are my crafting HERO!

April said...

I seriously want to be just like you! If you lived closer I would pay you to do my projects....as if you would have any down time from your own projects. :)

And P.S. Why can't CA have decent finds that aren't overpriced at the thrift store?

Jennifer said...

Ok. I might be mad at you now. (by "now" I mean, now that I've seen the desk ALL FIXED UP!) Eesh. It's gorgeous! You did a fabulous job on it and on EVERYTHING ELSE! Holy hannah, you are awesome. And, I cannot wait to try out the roller on my next project! Never, ever thought of that. You're a genius!!! Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Reagan's new room. I think a pink mirror would be adorable...maybe light pink glazed with hot pink? I dunno. You'll come up with something fabulous. You always do. :)

JSL, ABE&H said...

how the heck do you know how to do all that stuff? You can come redo all my crap anytime. So cute.

-tracy said...

i'm so glad you finally posted pictures.
first off, i LOVE the desk. it's perfect as is. i don't think you should distress it. it looks better than i imagined it could. oh, and the glass is still at t.c....although i'm sure you already know that.
the bed and dressers look amazing. white is classic and crisp. love it. and my vote is robins egg blue for the mirror.

The Schneiders said...

I am tired, yet amazed, just reading your post, Kristina. You are brilliant and that is simply that!

MELISSA said...

Ok, so I think you need to come back to California and paint all my furniture and teach me the art of thrift store shopping. Seriously, you are amazing...and I LOVE all the white!!

Carrie Reeves said...

definately distress the sewing desk...and Im soooo jealous of your thrift stores...the only one I have nearby (D.I.) is outrageously expensive, well for a thrift store at least. I think D.I. thinks it's the new Nordstroms.

Clarissa said...

Dang I need to learn to do little projects like that. You do such a good job, your after pictures are amazing