Friday, May 25, 2012

The Graduation of the Decade

Shawn and I started out this journey 10 years ago. Wowzers!
He has been in school every single day of our marriage (I know, except holidays, but you get what I mean). 
And on Friday, May 19th it came to an end.

THERE ARE NO WORDS!

It was a little surreal sitting there, watching Shawn graduate. Contrary to what he wrote on his application essay…. he had NO idea what he wanted to do with himself after receiving his Bachelors in Chemistry. The extent of his Optometric knowledge was that they prescribe glasses, period. This all changed when he kept a friend company on a road trip to Southern California to check out an Optometry school. Shawn was just going along for the ride. He called me that day and his exact words were, “I have decided to become an Optometrist.” I actually laughed (is that mean?) But seriously, your husband leaves in the morning, and has his future planned by the afternoon…. okay?

And here we are, 4 years later…. with that future fulfilled!
The journey was not easy for any of us. The dean of Optometry laid out the facts that over the course of his schooling, Shawn has:
“Sat through 1,710 hours of lecture
Participated in 690 hours of lab exercises
Took 72 midterms
35 written final exams
5 lab finals
Passed at least 35 mini proficiencies
Passes 1 big proficiency at the end of the second year
They spent 1,960 hours in clinic
and for the privilege they paid $42 per hour”

But he’s not the only one who had to endure that. Those stats were our life. I’ll spare you from going on and on. Let me just say that when I look at that diploma I feel like they omitted 4 names: Kristina, Jefferson, Grant, and Reagan. Maybe I’ll scribble our names lightly on the back… no one will know but me (well, and you now).

Friday morning the graduates had a “Hooding Ceremony”, where they received their hoods together as a class. It was intimate and emotional. Shawn’s friend, Dave Glabe, gave an AMAZING valedictorian speech. The keynote speaker gave 7 useful tips for entering the field of Optometry and ended with the emotional advice that none of them forget the importance of putting their families first. The school hosted a simple lunch… and we rushed home to get our kids ready for the commencement ceremony.

I know…. pictures already!!! Here they come…

Here we are waiting for the graduates to enter. I know it meant a lot to Shawn to have 4 of his brothers in attendance. L to R: Ryan, Aaron, Monty. Nick is busy with the video camera I put him in charge of. My boys spend most of the ceremony listening to an audiobook.Graduation 03

Reagan and Aaron.
Graduation 24 Aaron and Reagan

Monty, Shawn’s dad... just waiting in the heat!
Graduation 02

As soon as the band started playing “Pomp and Circumstance” I was a blubbering baby. Like I said earlier, it was surreal.
Graduation 04    Graduation 05

I was sitting in the aisle and Shawn walked right by me to his seat… which didn’t help my blubbering emotions. But I felt lucky to be able to steal one last kiss. Here he is walking into the stadium.
Graduation 08    Graduation 10

And… he sat 3 rows in front of us. I guess sitting in the back can have its advantage…. for taking excellent ‘back-of-the-head’ shots!
Graduation 06

The ceremony itself was 2 hours long. It was a pretty hot day…. but I cannot complain because it poured rain for the next 4 days following. This is what Reagan did during the ceremony….
Graduation 11

And the boys, well, this is what they did while they waited for their Dad….
Graduation 12

Finally, Shawn’s name was called. I remember thinking how lucky he was to have a ramp to walk up…. he had been so paranoid of tripping.Graduation 14

Being Hooded by the Dean of Optometry
Graduation 16   Graduation 16-2

And receiving his diploma….
Graduation 17

Walking back to his seat as Shawn Skinner O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) It’s almost as if he got more handsome since walking off the stage, don’t you think?
Graduation 19

Wow, even the back of his head is better looking!
Graduation 21

And here’s Shawn walking out of the stadium. Don’t his shoulders look lighter?
Graduation 22

The ceremony was over… it was picture time…..
Here’s a shot of everyone who came to support Shawn. His parents, his 4 brothers, my mom, and us of course. I know what a sacrifice it was for everyone to fly up here, and we thank you!
Graduation 25 All of us

Shawn’s parents, Monty and Peggy.
Graduation 31 - Shawn with Mom and Dad

The brothers. L to R: Monty, Nick, Shawn, Ryan (nice smile), and Aaron.
Graduation 32 - Shawn with brothers

Shawn and my mom
Graduation 35 - Shawn and Nancy

My mom and I. Looks like I’m giving her a tummy punch!
Mom and I copy

There was a group of guys who stuck together through all 4 years. Here’s the bunch. Just look at these handsome Doctors.
L to R: Devin Farr, Eric Johansen, Colton Crowther, Aaron Cole, Shawn, Brandon Reed, Dave Parkinson, Dave Glabe, Seth Jensen, Scott Pitts
Graduation 26 - Guys

And us wives… I could not have survived without these girls! I’m serious. Do NOT go to graduate school without making a group of friends like these… you will die otherwise. That is my one piece of advice. That, and also that the years really do fly by…. so don’t waste a moment with your friends!
L to R: Tana, Jen, Jenny, Claudia, Me, Jen, Tara, Brianne, Sierra, and ErinGraduation 27 -Girls

All of us. We not only had Optometry school in common… we were neighbors (really really close neighbors), we had children woes, husband woes, financial woes, and more.  What a shock to leave this comfort behind and enter the REAL WORLD. We’re all going to different places across the U.S. This makes me sad, and saying goodbye was especially hard. But it’s not all doom and gloom, because………Graduation 28 - couples copy

We can FINALLY buy fabric at RETAIL!!!!!
at least that’s what has me jumping for joy.
Jumping for joy 2

It was hard to say goodbye to this girl in particular. I’m really going to miss you Jen…. but Georgia is only 6 hrs. from us… that’s nothin’
Jen and I copy

Shawn and Brandon… who not only graduated Optometry school together, but will graduate Officer Training together in 1 month…. oh scary, in an exciting way! Shawn and Brandon

Our Family.
Graduation 33 - Our Family
Some people may say that we did things backwards…. having children, then getting the career. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. True, there was sacrifice involved. But these children never wanted for anything! Shawn, you gave them what they all needed individually, and more! At their ages they will always remember their Dads’ graduation day. What an example you have set for them…. one they won’t just hear about you having accomplished…. one they could see (and be a part of). Take a look at these pictures….. One was taken right before Shawn began school, the other just last week. (Jefferson Hall was the building Shawn’s classes were held in). It’s clear how much our children grew over this 4 year journey.
141   IMAG0115

Honey, I was such a proud wife on this day… actually, the effects are still lingering. I hope they always will. I know better than anyone what it took for you to get here. I laugh at the size of that ginormous diploma… but in fact, it’s not quite big enough!

I LOVE YOU!

Graduation 34 - Shawn and I copy

12 comments:

-tracy said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have been wanting to bother you all week to see how graduation went. Your pictures are beautiful.
I'm so glad everyone could be there to support you. Congratulations and miss you all.
xo.

Jen said...

You describe the entire experience so perfect! And I LOVE that jumping picture. LOL! It makes me laugh.

Debbie said...

This post totally made me cry. So well said! And you look beautiful! Thanks so much for posting.

Mom said...

Now, on to the next chapter. Watch out, No. Carolina - here come the Skinners, ready to leave their indelible mark, with an added member to their brood.

JSL, ABE&H said...

What an accomplishment, congrats. I would have cried too! What a journey. That jumping pic was pretty cool to. Good job Shawn, and Kristina, it's hard being the one at home while they are always in school.

VA Bradshaws said...

Yay! Congrats to you all!! You guys are going to be close to us when you're in North Carolina. If you are ever wanted to come to Williamsburg you are always welcome to come stay with us.

Reed Family said...

We just got home from Disneyland and one of the first things I did was come to see if you posted about graduation. Best. Post. Ever. It was such an amazing/emotional day. You did such a great job of capturing it all. That jumping segment is AWESOME. You are brilliant. Enjoy the next two days with your sweetheart. :(

Erin said...

LOVED this post! Congratulations to the WHOLE family...it truly is a group effort and one that Shawn couldn't have gotten through without the support of an awesome wife like you! So glad you can buy fabric at retail now :). We can't wait to see you guys when you pass through Boise!

MELISSA said...

Wow, that made me cry! I am so proud of Shawn (and you!) for making it to this point. You guys are my inspiration! The reality of South Carolina is really starting to hit me.....SO FAR AWAY- another reason why I'm probably crying right now. On another note, how did you do that jumping pic?? That was awesome!

MELISSA said...

or is it North Carolina?

Amy Weiser DC said...

Congratulations!

Seth and Sierra said...

My face in that group picture is...awesome. Apparently I need posing lessons.
I absolutely LOVE the jumping pic!!